Caritas Tororo Archdiocese was established in 1998 as the social services and economic development arm of the Catholic Church in the Archdiocese of Tororo mandated to carry out socio economic development activities. Caritas is a Faith based and non-profit making organization falling under the Caritas, Justice and Peace Commission of the Archdiocese.
Caritas Tororo operates in sixteen (16) districts; Tororo, Butaleja, Manafwa, Namusidwa, Bududa, Budaka, Busia, Mbale, Bukwo, Sironko, Pallisa, Butebo Kapchorwa, Kween, Kibuku and Bulambuli using the church structure through 45 parishes, that are grouped in eleven (11) deaneries with a total area of 3500 square miles/8837 square KM with a catholic population of over 520,000 (UBOS, 2014). Each level has a development committee which coordinates Caritas activities in the parishes. Caritas works in partnership with the local governments as a contribution to the Government’s Development efforts in reaching the marginalized and vulnerable people. The activities are carried out irrespective of the people’s cultures, religious or political affiliations.
Caritas derives inspiration from sacred scripture and the social teaching of the Catholic Church which upholds integral and sustainable development, preferential option for the poor, respect for human dignity through mutual understanding, love and solidarity.
Vision: An empowered, Peaceful, Prosperous and God fearing community”
Mission: “Caritas Tororo exists to empower communities through capacity building and advocacy for sustainable development”
Overall Strategy : Integral development of the whole person in the community
Overall Program Development Objective: Improved quality of life for poor and vulnerable in the Archdiocese of Tororo.”
Caritas Tororo’s identity statement: “With love, we serve God and mankind!!!’’
- To promote food security and increased income through sustainable agribusiness in the Archdiocese of Tororo
- To promote access to sustainable safe water and sanitation services
- To support the vulnerable groups in Archdiocese of Tororo
- To promote income generation and resource mobilization
- To strengthen Caritas or efficiency, effectiveness and responsiveness to social, economic development needs of the Archdiocese of Tororo.
- To strengthen the capacity of Caritas Tororo Archdiocese to integrate climate change perspectives into the institutional development plans for sustainable environment.
- To ensure equal participation of People with disabilities (PWDs), Youth, Women, Men and family well-being in all development programs.