Caritas Tororo Archdiocese is the social services and economic development arm of the Catholic Church in the Archdiocese of Tororo mandated to carry out socio economic development activities. Caritas Tororo is a Faith based and non-profit making organization falling under the Caritas, Justice and Peace Commission of the Archdiocese of Tororo.
Caritas Tororo operates in Tororo, Butaleja, Manafwa, Namusidwa, Bududa, Budaka, Busia, Mbale, Bukwo, Sironko, Pallisa, Butebo Kapchorwa, Kween, Kibuku and Bulambuli. Caritas Tororo Archdiocese enters the community using the church structure that is the 45 parishes, which are grouped in eleven deaneries with a total area of 3500 square miles/8837 square KM with a population of over 520,000 (UBOS, 2014). Each level has a development committee which coordinates Caritas activities in the parishes. Caritas works in partnership with the local governments as a contribution to the Government’s Development efforts in reaching the marginalized and vulnerable people. Caritas Tororo carries out its activities irrespective of the people’s cultures, religious or political affiliations.
Caritas derives inspiration from sacred scripture and the social teaching of the Catholic Church which upholds integral and sustainable development, preferential option for the poor, respect for human dignity through mutual understanding, love, solidarity, justice and peace.
Vision“An empowered, Peaceful, Prosperous and God Fearing Community”
Mission “Caritas Tororo exists to empower communities through capacity building and advocacy for sustainable development”
Overall Stratery "Integral development of the whole person in the community
Overall Program Development Objective: Improved quality of life for poor and vulnerable in Tororo Arch-Diocese”
- To promote food security and increased income through sustainable agribusiness in the Archdiocese of Tororo
- To promote access to sustainable safe water and sanitation services
- To support the vulnerable groups in Archdiocese of Tororo
- To promote income generation and resource mobilization
- To strengthen Caritas or efficiency, effectiveness and responsiveness to social, economic development needs of the Archdiocese of Tororo.
- To fundraise for the development of Infrastructural and income sustainability of the Archdiocese of Tororo.
- To promote alternatives/ secure right to better and sustainable livelihood for household living in extreme vulnerabilities of drought and food insecurity.
- To strengthen the capacity of Caritas Tororo Archdiocese to integrate climate change perspectives into the institutional development plans for sustainable environment.
- To strengthen partnerships towards increased/ alternative household income through sustainable practices and social enterprises.
- To build the capacity of the Archdiocese to mobilize resources for increased institutional sustainability to at least 10% of the strategic period
- To ensure equal participation of PWDs, Youth, Women and Men in all development programs.
Caritas Tororo’s identity statement “With love, we serve God and mankind!!!
Overall Strategy Integral development of the whole person in the community
Overall Program Development Objective: “Improved quality of life for poor and vulnerable in Tororo Arch-Diocese”